Wednesday 7 May 2014

#MINC

Hi lovelies! How has everyone been? I trust you all have been living life passionately and purposefully. 

Ok! Last week was conference week for me, I attended two conferences, one on makeup and the other on photography. I can never hear too much about makeup, never learn too much about makeup, never see too many makeup tutorials (especially when they are live!) and never get tired of meeting other makeup artists. 

This post is all about MINC! For those of us who aren’t makeup junkies, MINC is simply the acronym for Makeup In Nigeria Conference. It was held last week Wednesday at the Oriental Hotel in Lekki, Lagos and I must say I came away drained but uplifted and empowered. If you missed it, here are the photos of the conference which I was able to take and my candid opinion on the masterclasses and conference in general.


The stage was set quite nicely but we started quite late! We Nigerians and punctuality! Amen to an improvement in this regard next year.


The Commissioner, Lagos State Ministry of Trade and Industry (I hope I got that right) giving a brief address. She commended our entrepreneurial spirit and assured us of the support of the Lagos State Government.
My opinion: what about other MUAs from other parts of the country? Perhaps at the next conference, we can have someone from the Federal Government? I would also love to see representatives from NAFDAC and SON in attendance next year as so many MUAs have started producing makeup products. I would love to know that these products are being regulated and made to the appropriate health and safety standards.


Joy Adenuga demonstrating how to create an editorial look.
My opinion: Good delivery. Friendly approach. 


Eni Balogun discussing how to create a professional image as a makeup artist and hygiene in makeup artistry
My opinion: Good delivery. Humourous approach. Quite engaging


Tara Fela-Durotoye delivering her keynote address


Idy Enang, MD, L'Oreal Central West Africa delivering his keynote address
Take away: Beauty is a great business, beauty is eternal, beauty is cultural, beauty is universal, beauty is a permanent quest.
My opinion: Good delivery. His powerpoint slides had issues otherwise they would have been great.


Lola Maja-Ojekovo demonstrating creative makeup
My opinion: Good delivery, engaging.


Khuraira Musa demonstrating the use of her K-PRO Airbrush Makeup
My opinion: Great delivery. Very Engaging.


Bimpe Onakoya demonstrating Fashion Makeup
My opinion: Good delivery.


Buntricia Bastian demonstrating HD Bridal Makeup
My opinion: Great delivery. Extremely humourous. Very engaging. #imjustsaying


Funmi Irantiola Olurinola demonstrating how to tie gele on Buntricia
My opinion: Good demonstration. Would have been great if a proper gele was used.


Bayo Haastrup creating a High Fashion Makeup look My opinion: Good delivery


Honorary Recognition

Alhaja Tejuosho

Alhaja Kudi


Bayo Haastrup


Chief Mrs. Opral Benson

Conference overview: In all, I must say it was a success being the first of its kind in Nigeria (kudos to Tara and Teni). There are a few opportunity areas though, projector screens weren’t sharp/clear enough to show the details of the demonstration. Class size was too large for everyone to be fully engaged, I think the masterclasses should not be more than about 50 participants so MUAs can get a better look, and have the opportunity to ask questions. 

Being someone who likes food (lol) and didn’t eat before leaving home at 5.30am in order to be early, arrangements to feed us could have been better. In my opinion, pre-packaged food parcels with a drink inclusive could have been handed out at the two breaks. I was terribly hungry, had a headache and was dizzy as I was only able to get one mini croissant and a glass of juice throughout the event which started past 9am and ended at 10pm.

The MUAs could have been more explanatory when working with respect to type of product used and why, type of tools used and why, techniques used and why, etc. Buntricia did a good job of this (after over 30 years in the industry she would know!)

For next year’s conference, I feel the conference should be split into 2 days, masterclasses should be better organised, sales stands should be more spacious and more allowance should be made for questions to be asked.

I learnt a great deal, was inspired by the stories of how those we look up to have grown, developed and perfected their crafts over the years. I learnt new techniques to incorporate into mine and even learnt how to and not to handle the business side of my craft. 

Adding summaries of the masterclasses would make this blog post too long, so let me know if this is something you would like to see! Till the next time my fingers hit the keyboard, enjoy these photos!






#versefortheyear - Blessed is she who believed, for there will be a fulfillment of those things which were told her from the Lord - Luke 1:45

2 comments:

  1. Hello! this is my first time ever seeing your blog, its interesting, learnt lots of tips for makeup. Just continue to be real, hmmn love your response in the MINC. By the way was expecting to see Banke Meshida Lawal. was she not invited?. Have a beautiful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tola,
    Thanks for stopping by the blog and appreciating what I do!
    I really don't know why Banke wasn't at MINC, was hoping she would be. I'm waiting for the opportunity to see her do a live demonstration.
    Please keep reading the blog and also visit You Makeovers on our other social media channels like Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram.
    Thanks again and God bless.

    ReplyDelete